Download friend list from facebook by GraphML or UCInet format

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I need to download all of my friend list by using facebook API, then import those data into NodeXL for further analysis.

Actually,I have tried a very simple example (PHP) to show all of my friend ID list directly. 

Before I import my friend list to NodeXL, it is necessary for me to download friend list in particular format(e.g. GraphML or UCINet), or any format  which is supported by NodeXL. 
In addition, there is a app in facebook called NameGenWeb, here is the link  just for your reference.
I want to ask how to apply  GraphML into php to design the code just like the NameGenWeb app?
Hope I explain my query clearly.
Thank you very much!
Nov 23, 2010 at 3:23 PM

The blog post at:

May address your needs.  

Bernie Hogan’s Facebook Social Network Data Provider and Visualization toolkit

April 25th, 2010 by Marc Smith · 1 Comment

My colleague at the Oxford Internet InstituteBernie Hogan, is working on tools that collect personal Facebook network data and visualize the connections among your friends.  These tools now interoperate with NodeXL through theGraphML XML file format. Here is the new link:

Here is an example:

2009 - September - Bernie Hogan - Facebook Network Visualization

It provides a good illustration of the ways a person’s social network is clumped into clusters built around life phases, workplaces, educational institutions, teams and locations.  As people move through more of these stages of life during the Facebook era (and often before) they accumulate these clusters.

Facebook or other contact and friend management systems might could leverage this clustering to organize the presentation of contact information streams.

Bernie recently announced on the SOCNET list that he has updated his script for downloading your Facebook network.

1. Its faster. (Presently orders of magnitude faster than Nexus, Touchgraph or ORA).
2. It gives nice feedback during the download.
3. It has less bugs!
4. It gives you the output as a file you can right-click and save rather than copy-paste.
5. IDs are names.”

Bernie writes that phase two of his project is underway.

Bernie is the author of the Facebook chapter in our book Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL: Insights from a connected world available from Morgan-Kaufmann.