New to NodeXL, template does not display the graph pane

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Hi, I am using nodexl for the first time, and cannot see the chart pane at all (only the excel cells). I´ve read the various discussions about graph panes having size problems but in my case I do no see any pane at all (not even the document actions line) at all so I do not know where to point the mouse to drag it outside the excel window. Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Simonetta:

I assume that you have done the following:

* You installed NodeXL using the Setup program you obtained from the Downloads tab on the CodePlex Web site, and the Setup program ran successfully.

* You started NodeXL from the Windows Start menu by clicking "All Programs" (Windows 7 or Vista) or "Programs" (Windows XP), then "Microsoft NodeXL," then "Excel Template."

If this is the case, then please tell me the following:

1. Is there a "NodeXL" tab in the Excel ribbon?  It should be to the right of the "View" tab.

2. If so, what happens when you click NodeXL, Graph, Show Graph in the Excel ribbon?

-- Tony

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Dear Tony, thanks for answering me so quickly. I repeated the whole procedure. There is no NodeXL tab in the Excel ribbon. Actually, the installation was sucessful, but when I start the NodeXL from the  All Programs as you describe above I get the following error message: Invalid URI: the hostname could not be analysed (the error details refer to Microsoft Visual Studio Tools Applications Deployment etc.) I am using Windows7 on Parallels on a MacbookPro. Thanks for any further advice you can give me, simonettta

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Simonetta:

Please try the following suggestion, which is from another Parallels/NodeXL user:

"...I finally got it working on my parallels installation.  ...I disabled "Share Mac OS X folders with Windows" in the Virtual Machine -> Configuration -> Shared Folders, then install NodeXL, it seems to work fine.  I was even able to enable Shared folders after I had installed NodeXL and I can still access it.  So I think you were right the ".psf" is confusing the install somehow."

-- Tony

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Dear Tony, I did exactly as suggested and now it works perfectly, I´m already visualising a very nice network!

Thanks a lot and congratulations, you are doing a great work, all the best

Simonetta