Cannot change location or width of graph pane

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Hello -

System: Win7 Pro x64, Office 2007

I've installed NodeXL 1.0.1.151 and am able to open the template within Excel.  However I cannot change the location or width of the graph pane.  (I can change its height.)  It is locked to the top of the Excel window and is full width. That is, I cannot create a situation like the one shown in Figure 1 of the 7/7/09 tutorial on page 9 where the worksheet is on the left and the graph pane is on the right.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling NodeXL, but to no avail. 

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

David

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM

David:

Positioning the graph pane can be finicky.  Here is what you have to do:

* Size the Excel window so you can see some of your desktop.

* Hold your mouse button down on the "Document Actions" text at the top of the graph pane, then drag your mouse to the desktop.  When you release the mouse button, the graph pane will be "floating" outside of Excel.

* Hold your mouse button down on the "Document Actions" text again, but this time drag your mouse toward the middle of the right edge of the Excel window.  The graph pane should "snap" into the standard right-side location.

This may require several attempts.

We've had many questions about this.  Unfortunately, the graph pane is something that is built into Excel, and I am unable to reprogram it to make it work more smoothly.

-- Tony

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Thanks, Tony, both for the clear instructions and the quick response!!!  It worked like a charm.  :-)

NodeXL looks a great tool for examining graphs from inside Excel.  Since there is a 64-bit 2010 version of Excel with greater capacity, does NodeXL accomodate that increase?

Thanks again.

David

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM

David:

With the 64-bit version of Excel, both Excel and NodeXL will indeed take advantage of all the memory you have installed on your computer.  This will help avoid out-of-memory conditions that you can encounter using NodeXL with large graphs on the 32-bit version.

However, please note that there are other limitations within NodeXL that will likely prevent you from creating, viewing, and analyzing arbitrarily large graphs, even if you have tons of memory.  Laying out and displaying a very large graph can be very slow, for example.  I generally tell people that NodeXL is optimized for graphs with a few thousand vertices and a few thousand edges.  You can use it with larger graphs, but the experience might prove frustrating due to slow responsiveness.

-- Tony

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up regarding processing limitations independent of the amount of memory, Tony.  I'll adjust my expectations accordingly. :-)

Nevertheless, I believe that NodeXL is a valuable tool for looking at graph data. 

Thanks to all who have worked on it and made it available to the public.

David