How to install NodeXL for multiple users

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM
Edited Jun 12, 2014 at 5:22 PM
[This topic applies to NodeXL versions 1.0.1.150 through 1.0.1.251. It does not apply to the product called "NodeXL Excel Template 2014."]

If you are an administrator on your computer and you use the same Windows account for everything, then skip this discussion.

If you are not an administrator on your computer, however, you will have to have an administrator install NodeXL by running NodeXL's Setup program. The administrator should select the "Everyone" option when the Setup wizard asks for whom the program should be installed.

There are a few things an administrator should know about the "Everyone" option:

1) Each additional user of NodeXL will be asked "Are you sure you want to install this customization?" the first time he runs NodeXL from the Windows Start menu. He should answer "Yes." The question will not be asked again.

2) Each additional user needs to run NodeXL from the Windows Start menu before NodeXL can be used. If instead he attempts to open a NodeXL workbook he obtained from someone else, an error message will pop up. (The message includes the text "Could not find file ...Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'.") Once he runs NodeXL from the Windows Start menu, he can open other NodeXL workbooks.

3) The administrator should be careful about switching between the "Everyone" and "Just me" options in the NodeXL Setup wizard when newer releases of NodeXL are installed. If she selects "Everyone" for one release and then needs to switch to "Just me", she should uninstall the "Everyone" release before installing for "Just me," and vice versa. Otherwise, two versions of NodeXL will exist on the computer. (This also applies to people who installed NodeXL versions prior to version 1.0.1.150. Those older versions were always "Just me.")
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/6/2016 at 12:00 AM
Jun 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Hello,
I am installing NodeXL using the installer version release Jan,23 2014, I need to install NodeXL on multiple computers and would like to know what would the best way be for our users to not have to install NodeXL everytime they run it. Also, the nodeXL files tie up to user specific Appdata which makes difficult to automate its install. Finally, as administrators, we would like to install NodeXL and then image our computers for the distribution of our images rather than having our users go through the installation every time. Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Edited Jun 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM
I just updated my original post in this conversation, which is almost four years old, to note that it doesn't apply to NodeXL Excel Template 2014, the version you're asking about.

First, NodeXL uses a Microsoft setup technology called ClickOnce, and ClickOnce applications like NodeXL are always installed per-user.

However, you only have to install NodeXL once, so I don't understand your comment about your users having to install NodeXL every time they run it. NodeXL will check for a new version once a day and automatically update itself if a new version is available, but that's not the same as having to install NodeXL on every use. That shouldn't be happening.

I don't know how to automate the installation, but please look here to see if provides you with any useful information:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/25509

I also don't know how to do the image trick. If you install NodeXL it will be installed for your account (the IT administrator), and if you then use sysprep or some other utility to create an image, I assume that your account will go away, taking NodeXL with it.

An alternative is to use an older version of NodeXL that can be installed for all users (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases/view/117300) and image that. But that wouldn't solve your need to push NodeXL to existing computers.

-- Tony
Jun 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Hi,

I tried installing the latest version of the NodeXLExcelTemplate. It installs in the user's appdata folder. I need to deploy this in a lab, which will be used by domain users. When I log in through the domain account I get the error which I have attached. However, when I log back into the Administrator account it works perfectly fine. Also, we use Deep Freeze in our labs, so the template needs to be installed before we freeze the computers.

I downloaded the older version, chose install for everyone and am still facing the same problem, I cannot use it from the domain account and I am getting the same error. Is there a work around to this problem?

Looking forward for you reply
Jun 14, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Edited Jun 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Attachments don't work in CodePlex discussions, so whatever you attached didn't make it through.

But in any case, I don't know how to do what you want to do. That's not to say it's impossible--and perhaps someone else reading this has a solution--but I can't offer any advice myself.

-- Tony
Jan 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2015 at 6:02 PM
SohailNoor,

I am trying to do the same thing you are in installing NodeXL 2014 in a lab environment for all users. Have you found a way to do that?
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2015 at 4:58 PM
Hello,

we still don't have a way how to install ClickOnce on lab environments, but we are seeking other ways to deliver the application in such cases.

Regards,
Arber
Feb 17 at 12:20 PM
Hello,

We are similarly trying to install this in our Citrix multi-user environment. This discussion is from a year ago indicating that alternative methods for installation were being investigated, however I have not seen any solutions out there. Is there any update to this topic?

--Suneel
Coordinator
Feb 17 at 3:45 PM
Hello!

We are now testing alternative solutions for installation in lab and secure environments. Please contact us directly to see if we can test our solution in your environment.

Regards,

Marc
Feb 23 at 3:16 PM

Hello Marc,

I would be willing to try a solution in our environment. I think I got it working enough for now, but it still downloads the files each time a new user starts up the NodeXL template, so if we could get around that, it would be good.

Thanks,

Suneel

Coordinator
Feb 23 at 3:50 PM
May 7 at 7:43 PM
Edited May 7 at 7:44 PM
I would also like to help with testing installation in a secure environment. A little further down the thread I see the offer to e-mail you directly, Marc, but I don't see an e-mail address. Let me know if you can help me out, thanks!

Thanks!
Paul Dreyer
pauldreyer at gmail.com

MarcSmith wrote:
Hello!

We are now testing alternative solutions for installation in lab and secure environments. Please contact us directly to see if we can test our solution in your environment.

Regards,

Marc