Using NodeXL class libraries in ASP.Net v2.0 Web app

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:02 PM
Edited Sep 23, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Hi!

I just came across NodeXL and now I'm evaluating whether I can use its class libraries in my ASP.NET application, or not.

I'd like to generate a graph on the server and return it as an image via the Response output stream in order to visualize it on the Web page. I tried the example I was able to find in the NodeXLApi Help under the help item for the NodeXLVisual class which should exactly do what I need. The only problem is that I'm using the .NET 2.0 framework and the GraphDrawingContext class needs a System.Windows.Rect object which is not available in .NET 2.0. Since I'm not able to use any more recent version of the .NET framework, I was wondering if there exists any other easy way to generate an image of the graph? If I'm not wrong, it's just the Rect class which currently prevents me from using the NodeXL class libraries, right? Am I missing any ways to generate these images?

I'd really appreciate any advises! Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Robert

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Hello, Robert:

The visualization layers of the NodeXL class libraries use Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) to draw the graph.  WPF was introduced in .NET 3.0, so I'm afraid that a .NET 2.0 application isn't going to be able to use the libraries to draw graphs.  It goes far beyond System.Windows.Rect -- it's the entire WPF drawing architecture.

Sorry for the bad news.  If you are ever able to update your system to a later .NET version, I hope you'll give NodeXL another try.

-- Tony

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Hello Tony,

thank you for your fast reply! I've already expected that but thanks for clarifying! So, I'll have to use something different for now - maybe I'll give MSAGL a try. But I'll come back to NodeXL for sure ;-)

Regards,
Robert