Installed, Crashes? Half Works...

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Hi, I'm new to NodeXL and usually use a Mac -- I'm running NodeXL on a Mac in Bootcamp, with XP and Excel 2010. I think I got the install right (took a while to figure out which of the three install icons to use), but now I get the following error when I either launch the NodeXL template from the Start menu or when I try to make a new file from the template from Excel:

************** Exception Text **************
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)
   at System.AppDomain.Unload(AppDomain domain)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomainInternal(String solutionLocation, String manifestName, String documentName, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.IDomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomain(String solutionLocation, String manifestName, String documentName, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)

Excel doesn't actually crash out, and the column headers and pages of the file all get info from NodeXL, but the NodeXL menu tab thing (don't know the name exactly) doesn't appear up at the top. Any ideas? (I hope this is a really dumb, easy to fix question....)

Thanks,

Nat Poor.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:21 AM
Edited Sep 17, 2010 at 4:22 AM

This problem occurs when you have something called ".NET Programmability Support" disabled.  It is normally enabled when Office is installed, but if you disable it when you install Office, you will get this error when you attempt to use the NodeXL template.

[The following instructions were written for Office 2007.  They should also work for Office 2010, although I haven't tried it yet.]

To enable .NET Programmability Support, do this:

* Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Vista, Windows 7).

* Select Microsoft Office.  The exact name will vary with the Office version you have; it might be Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010, for example.

* Select Change.

* In the Office setup wizard, select Add or Remove Features and click Continue.

* Expand Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office Excel.

* For .NET Programmability Support, select Run from My Computer.

* Click Continue.

When the Office setup wizard completes (it takes a while), you should be able to use the NodeXL template.

-- Tony

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Tony-

Thanks! I'll give it a try when I get back in XP (in OSX currently). 

I only installed Excel (from the Excel DVD, not from Office). I don't recall the install process asking about .NET disabling or anything, but it's possible I disabled it when I made the XP/Bootcamp install, since I have only been using it for Everquest 2, Garry's mod, and mods in Oblivion (ah, the joys of social science research).

Thank you also for the step-by-step, most of my Windows experience is with pre-Win XP (like 95), and although I should probably know XP better, I currently work from home so I almost exclusively work in OSX. When I use Everquest, it's not like I interact with XP much, I just reboot into XP and then fire up EQ. I have an old, non-expiring, version of SPSS (12?) for Windows but haven't needed it in a while, so my Windows-speak is rusty.

-Nat.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Victory! The directions were perfect and it is now working (well the NodeXL tab is there, I haven't actually tried anything yet, but I assume it works).

Thank you again for the detailed step-by-step. If you had just said I needed to activate .NET for the app I would have had to slog around the web to figure out how to do that.

I can practically feel the data filtering through my hands...

-Nat.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Nat:

I'm glad you got it working after that initial frustration.

Please note that NodeXL is under continuous development and that we post "incremental releases" approximately every two weeks as we add features and fix bugs.  If you find NodeXL useful, you can sign up for update notifications on the Downloads tab at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases (look for "Release Notifications") or just use NodeXL, Help, Check for Updates in the Excel Ribbon.  Right now we're improving NodeXL's ability to manage groups of related vertices.

-- Tony