Cannot install NodeXL1.0.1.131

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I tried to install NodeXL 1.0.1.131 in Windows 7 VM with Office 2007 under Mac OX10.6. I got:

Invalid URI: The host name could not be parsed.

You help is very much appreciated.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Peter:

You didn't say which software you used to create the virtual machine.  If it's Parallels, please see this discussion:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=215533

If it's VMWare, please see the post from libbyh in this discussion:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=44237

-- Tony

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am using Parallel VM. Shutting off folder sharing with Mac is not ideal for me. I tried to installed Node XL in another machine with Windows XP (NO VM) and MS Office 2007 and got the follwoing error message:

Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)

************** Exception Text **************
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)
   at System.AppDomain.Unload(AppDomain domain)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomainInternal(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.ICreateCustomizationDomain.CreateCustomizationDomain(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM

The "Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection" problem occurs when you have something called ".NET Programmability Support" disabled.  It is normally enabled when Office 2007 is installed, but if you disable it when you install Office 2007, you will get this error when you attempt to use the NodeXL template.

To enable .NET Programmability Support, do this:

* Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Vista, Windows 7).

* Select Microsoft Office.  The exact name will vary with the Office version you have ; it might be Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, for example.

* Select Change.

* In the Office setup wizard, select Add or Remove Features and click Continue.

* Expand Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office Excel.

* For .NET Programmability Support, select Run from My Computer.

* Click Continue.

When the Office setup wizard completes (it takes a while), you should be able to use the NodeXL template.

-- Tony

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Hi Tony,

Thank so much. It works great now.

Peter

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Sorry that you ran into these problems, Peter.  Thanks for letting me know the outcome.

-- Tony