Anyone Rejected for Whitelisting by Twitter?

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM
It took about a month since my initial request for whitelisting, however I received the following reason as to why today: "We provide basic limits of the APIs to researchers, as they allow for a statistically significant enough sample to be able to determine findings. Whitelisting is reserved for applications that have special needs." Is there a proper way you would recommend addressing? Hopefully it doesn't take another 3 weeks as the current limitations are keeping me from doing things more meaningful. Thanks! - Josh Letourneau
Aug 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Josh:

It sounds like they've changed their whitelisting criteria again.  I don't know what to recommend at this point.

There are two recent changes in NodeXL that might help you, however:

1. Since version 1.0.1.127, the Twitter rate limit has been increased from 150 requests per hour to 350 requests per hour, assuming that you have authorized NodeXL to use your Twitter account to import Twitter networks.

2. In version 1.0.1.130 (to be released this week), NodeXL will automatically pause for about an hour when the Twitter rate limits are hit, then resume where it left off.  So you should eventually get your complete network even if you have not been whitelisted, although it may take a while.

-- Tony

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM

How does one go about authorizing nodeXL to use my twitter account?

-M

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I assume that you are using one of the Twitter import dialog boxes opened from the NodeXL, Data, Import menu in the NodeXL Excel Template.  If so, just select the "I have a Twitter account, but I have not yet authorized NodeXL to use my account" option in the dialog box, and NodeXL will tell you what to do.

If you do not see this option in the dialog box, it's because you have an older version of NodeXL.  In that case, please download and install the latest version, which can be found at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases.

-- Tony