Hyperbolic tree in NodeXL?

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:19 AM
Hi Tony et al, Are there any plans - or do you think it wouldbe appropriate to include a hypberbolic tree layout for NodeXl for where there is a clear hierarchy / structure to the data (data set I am working on is a business network where we are mapping who introduced who - so starting from a couple of original nodes every other node is linked to someone else in a tree type strucutre) . I know there are other tools out there for generating these types of graph but personally I think it would be great to have it integrated into NodeXl which is such an accessible tool. Alternatively are there any quick workarounds with the existing layouts (e.g. Harel-Koren) to eliminate overlapping vertices when dealing with the above set of data Thanks as always Daniel
Jul 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

The hyperbolic tree layout certainly looks interesting, and I've added it to the list of potential features to investigate.  In the meantime, have you tried the Sugiyama layout in NodeXL?  It uses a tree-like approach that attempts to minimize edge crossings.

-- Tony