'Subgraphs' in Excel 2010?

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Is anyone having an issue seeing the 'Subgraph' column (in the Vertices tab) in Excel 2010? Thoughts? Thanks! Josh Letourneau
Jul 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Josh:

The Subgraph column gets added to the Vertices worksheet when you run the NodeXL, Analysis, Subgraph Images feature.  The column isn't there when you create a new workbook.

If you run the Subgraph Images feature and still can't see the Subgraph column, you might have to scroll the Vertices worksheet to the right using the horizontal scrollbar at the lower-right corner of the worksheet.  Also, make sure that you haven't hidden the "Other Columns" column group, which the Subgraph column is a part of.  Go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns to verify that you are showing the Other Columns column group.

-- Tony

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:07 AM
Tony, thank you big-time for explaining this. I just figured it out after re-running the subgraphs. This NodeXL program is powerful - seriously, Kudos to you and the rest of the team! Before getting into NodeXL, I first played with Pajek and then purchased a copy of InFlow from Orgnet. The one thing I like about Orgnet is the ability to 'randomize' the vertices and edges (nodes and links) in such a way as to visually illustrate centrality (i.e. with the more central nodes being toward the center of the graph). One thing I've gathered with NodeXL is that cluster identification is complete in an absolute jiffy, and that's where a great amount of value lies for us to leverage. Is there any view you recommend as best in terms of a baseline visual?
Jul 14, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Josh:

I'm glad you've found our program to be useful.  Regarding a baseline visual, we've found that there is no single group of settings that works well for all graphs.  In fact, that is a Holy Grail of network visualization that neither we nor anyone else has yet achieved!  Your best bet is to experiment with all the options to see what works well for your particular datasets.

-- Tony

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Lol, Tony - you're right :) Here is what has been working for me with a decent level of success (although it's all relative, as you know): If I first lay-out the graph in a 'Circle' format, I then move to the 'Fructherman-Reingold' format . . . however, I'll personally iterate it about 50 times or so (clicking 'Lay Out Again'). This seems to move the nodes into positions that we can then manually manipulate easily. Just a thought - hope it helps :) P.S. Now if I could only identify how to import Facebook data as well :)
Jul 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Josh:

In case you haven't discovered it yet, you can increase the number of Fruchterman-Reingold iterations per layout by going to NodeXL, Graph, Layout, Layout Options.  (It's also available from the layout drop-down at the top of the graph pane.)  That should save you some button clicks.

-- Tony