NodeXL Network Server

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Hi there,

Excited by option to use NodeXL Network Server - however I have reviewed the FAQ on Marc's site http://www.connectedaction.net/ and details under the release history for 1.0.1.125 . I am running 1.0.1.126 and can not locate NodeXLNetworkServerFAQ.docx nor SampleNetworkConfiguration.xml mentioned in Marc's post. Am I missing something very obvious here? I have looked in the download setup zip files for the release   and the nodexl template holding folder - and cant find either.

Many thanks again in advance!

Daniel

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Daniel:

The files are in NodeXL's program folder.  To find out where the folder is, right-click the Microsoft NodeXL, Excel 2007 Template menu item in the Windows Start menu, then select Properties.  On 32-bit English computers, the folder is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template."

-- Tony

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Daniel:

Please note that version 1.0.1.127 of NodeXL introduces some changes in the way the NodeXL Network Server uses your Twitter account information.  See the release notes at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=CompleteReleaseHistory.

-- Tony

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM
Excellent - thank you for the forewarning. A further question I'm afraid

For a Twitter 'search' import, what determines the data you recieve if it is not all possible matching tweets (ie if you have limited to x people and that limit is hit). Is it time ordered so the most recent until it reaches the x people limit - or is it another type of sample or random. The reason for question is that I am using windows scheduler to regularly run a search which I will then amalgamate / remove duplicates to provide a weekly / monthly view of changes in the network and wish to correctly define the base data ie can I be sure it will track all tweets or at best you can only treat as a sample.

Many thanks again,

Daniel

On 22 Jun 2010, at 17:04, "tcap479" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Daniel:

Please note that version 1.0.1.127 of NodeXL introduces some changes in the way the NodeXL Network Server uses your Twitter account information. See the release notes at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=CompleteReleaseHistory.

-- Tony

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Daniel:

When importing from a Twitter search network, the tweets come back ordered by time, with the most recent tweets first.  NodeXL keeps receiving tweets until one of the following conditions is met, whichever comes first:

* N tweets with unique authors are received, where N is the "Limit to N people" setting.

* 1,500 tweets are received.  (That is the most tweets that Twitter will send.)

* Twitter has found all recent tweets that satisfy the search criteria.

-- Tony

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Hi Tony,

I have now got around to trying to use the task scheduler. I have configured the SampleNetworkConfiguration.xml file and saved to a working folder. I go into Task Scheduler to create a new task and am struggling to get it to work - do I create a task and under Actions tab select 'Start a Program' and add the reference to the xml file under the Program / script box? I have attempted this but to no avail.

Many thanks in advance as always,

Daniel

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Daniel:

You are almost there.  On the Actions tab, create a "Start a Program" action, set the "Program/script" to the full path to the NodeXLNetworkServer.exe program, and set the "Add arguments" to the full path to your network configuration file.

On a 32-bit English computer, the full path to the NodeXLNetworkServer.exe program looks like this, although you can browse for it using the Actions tab's Browse button:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\NodeXLNetworkServer.exe"

The full path to your network configuration file might look something like this:

"C:\Temp\SampleNetworkConfiguration.xml"

There is no Browse button for "Add arguments," but if you shift-right-click your network configuration file in Windows Explorer, you can use the "Copy as path" right-click menu item to copy the path to the clipboard and then paste it into "Add arguments."

Note that double-quotes must be used when a path contains spaces.

I assume that, prior to starting with Task Scheduler, you have confirmed that your network configuration file works properly by running NodeXLNetworkServer.exe from the command line, giving it the network configuration file path as a command-line argument.  You want to do that because if an error occurs when the NodeXLNetworkServer is run from Task Scheduler, the task's window will disappear before you have a chance to read the error message.

Note also that you have to set a "trigger" on the Triggers tab, and that the "Repeat task every" box appears to give you only a limited set of options, but you can actually type any interval into it.  And finally, you can test your new task without waiting for the trigger by right-clicking the task in Task Scheduler and selecting Run.

-- Tony

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Tony - you are a legend! Works a charm.

Daniel