Manually creating clusters

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I really like the visuals that are part of the example in the Node XL tutorial to discuss clustering. I can envision doing something similar with my data, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm doing a citation analysis where we have located a core set of documents and have found a way to record all the citations for each document. For each document in the core set, we have some codes to capture the content - whether the content is more oriented toward 1.) policy, 2.) instruction, or 3.) policy & instruction. I hypothesize that a cluster graph would demonstrate that the documents cited by "policy" documents will be in one cluster, the documents cited by "instruction" documents will be in another cluster, and the documents cited by "policy & instruction" documents will also be in their own cluster. But, alternately, I guess I could imagine that the "policy & instruction" documents fall somewhere in the middle and include citations that are also cited by both "policy" and "instruction" documents.

Anyway, on my edges worksheet, I have coded each edge as being a citation from a 1.) policy document; 2.) instruction document; or 3.) policy & instruction document. It seems to me I could use that information to create cluster worksheets. But I'm just not sure how. Please advise.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:51 AM

NodeXL's clustering feature (NodeXL, Analysis, Find Clusters) uses a mathematical algorithm to detect clusters based on the connectedness of the graph's vertices, then distinguishes the clusters using vertex color and shape.  That's the only automatic cluster support we offer at the moment.

However, the cluster information is read from the Clusters and Cluster Vertices worksheets, so as an alternative you could fill in those worksheets yourself based on your own clustering technique, whatever that may be.  You can do this manually, use Excel formulas, or possibly write some VBA code to build the clusters after analyzing the information in your other worksheets.  Hover your mouse over the first column header in each worksheet for a worksheet overview.

-- Tony