Problem installing NodeXL

May 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Hi, I installed NodeXL on my PC (Vista Enterprise). The install wizard process via setup.exe indicated that the software (both Visual Studio and NodelXL Template parts) installed successfully. However, there is no NodeXL tab in Excel and I do not see Microsoft NodeXL via Start --> All Programs. I tried re-installing with our antivirus software turned off but same result. Thanks for your help, Susan

May 21, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Two questions:

1. In Excel, go to Round Office Button, New, My Templates.  Does NodeXLGraph.xltx show up in the My Templates dialog box?

2. Did you install NodeXL using a Windows account different from the one with which you are attempting to use the program?

-- Tony

May 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Hi Tony,

1. No, the NodeXLGraph.xltx does not show up in the My Templates dialog box.

2. Yes, NodeXL was installed using a different Windows account (i.e., a special admin userID used for our workgroup) than the account I use for my PC. As a test, I just logged into my PC using the special admin account and was able to install the NodelXL Excel template just fine -- NodeXL was on the Excel 2007 ribbon, etc. What steps do I need to take so I can access the template from my regular account?

Thanks for your help!

May 21, 2010 at 6:48 PM

We had a similar problem when I tried to load the add-in onto my students machines.  We don't give them privaleges to install so I get the honor. After several false starts here is the easiest way to get it to work:

1) sign in as admin and install (That creates among other things, the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research sub-directory which is important)

2)Change permissions on the Microsoft Research directory to allow all users to write to it.

3) Then the student also install it and then it works.

I'll let the developers explain why, if that is necessary.  I am just glad it works!

May 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM
Edited May 22, 2010 at 12:42 AM

The procedure pehjmu mentioned is one way to get NodeXL to work for multiple users on the same computer.  Here is another technique that might be a bit simpler:

-- Tony

May 24, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Hi Tony,

Your directions in the URL you provided worked like a charm! Thanks so much for your help!