Problem exporting from NodeXL to UCINET

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Hi

I have just exported a NodeXL file to UCINET (DL format), using the NodeXL Export command. I then imported that file in UCINET using the Data>Import Text File>DL command

Then an error message came up saying:

"The word [afrodee02] was unexpectedly encountered and is being ignored"

afrodee02 was the sixth last of 239 row labels. When I clicked OK it repeated the same message for the next row label, until the end of the list of row labels was reached. Then it repeated the sme cycle again. When I clicked cancel  it said "problems reading DL/UC header information"

I have opened the DL file and there seems nothing wrong with the list of row or column labesl, or the DL header.

BTW, the header is as follows

DL
N=239
FORMAT = FULLMATRIX DIAGONAL PRESENT
ROW LABELS:

Any ideas on what is causing this problem?

regards, rick davies

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Rick:

At last -- a problem I can blame on someone else!  UCINET is having problems with the apostrophes in the file.  If you remove all the apostrophes, using either Excel's search-and-replace or Notepad's (after NodeXL exports the UCINET file), then UCINET will read the file.

I am reluctant to modify NodeXL to remove the apostrophes automatically, because 1) that would be patching over an external problem, and 2) I don't know what other characters cause problems.  Instead, I'll post a question to the UCINET support forum on Yahoo, once the forum's moderator approves my membership request.

Thank you for reporting this.

-- Tony